How the PS4′s controller is looking to improve gameplay
The PS4′s prototype controller has been leaked and I will be looking at the controller with a critical eye to see how Sony has improved it for gamers.
- The analogue Sticks have been improved and are now sporting a concave design. This will improve games like Killzone and Uncharted who rely on the sticks for aiming. This should increase players’ accuracy as their hands should no longer slip off the sticks like in the past with the Dualschock 3′s convex sticks.
- The D-Pad has also seen improvement, the pad no longer has the disjointed center, and has the connected center sported by, the acclaimed, D-pad on the PS Vita. This should help with rolling your thumbs to release a fireball in games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat.
- There also appears to be a 3.5mm jack on the bottom which suggest that Sony is packing in a cheap headset with the system. This is probably the most important aspect of the controller as it suggest that PSN will no longer be a ghost town when it comes to finding other players in games with headset, needless to say clan matches just got a lot better
- There also is a speaker in between the controller that will probably be used for notifications which could let gamers know when the receive a message without the need for an onscreen indicator. And maybe Sony can let us assign custom ringtones to our friends but that is more just me wishing. Also the speaker will possibly be used in game similar to the Wiimote.
- Also the touchpad is anyone’s guess as it can be used in numerous ways.
- The LED at the top also appears to give the controller some of the PlayStation Move’s abilities, but to be honest it doesn’t look like it will be as apt an experience as having the dedicated Move controller.
All in all, it looks like Sony is trying to make some subtle, but welcomed addition to the PlayStation 4′s controller over the DualShock 3. Hopefully we learn nore in the coming weeks.